...a little bit of demographic geography

Hello family and friends.

Welcome to taai: {a life journey}, this s a blog dedicated to our 'adventurous' life in Saskatoon. I write adventurous in commas because many people think that it is crazy-exciting to leave Europe to pursue a career in Canada - not just in Canada, but in Saskatoon. This blog will document our lives as we live it in this new world.
Saskatoon is proving to be enjoyable.

For those who don't know where is Saskatoon, let's me start with a little bit of demographic geography - I didn't even know that a province call Saskatchewan existed, so you are not alone :).

_______

Saskatoon is a city in the west central region of Saskatchewan. Its name derive from the Cree inanimate noun misâskwatômina 'saskatoon berries', this refers to the sweet, violet-coloured berry that grows in the area. Saskatoon is also popularly described as the "Bridge City," because it has seven river crossings.
The city was long populated by First Nations (a term used to describe the ethnicity that refers to the Aboriginal peoples in Canada who are neither Inuit nor Métis). This history is documented thanks to the ongoing work at Wanuskewin Heritage Park and other locations.

The settlers started to invade Saskatoon only in 1882 that the Toronto-based Temperance Colonization Society was granted 21 sections of land straddling the South Saskatchewan River, between what is now Warman and Dundurn.

The aim of the group was to escape the liquor trade in that city and set up a "dry" community in the Prairie region. The following year settlers, led by John Lake, arrived on the site of what is now Saskatoon and established the first permanent settlement. The settlers travelled by railway from Ontario to Moose Jaw and then completed the final leg via horse-drawn cart as the railway had yet to be completed to Saskatoon.

Saskatoon, unlike London or even Great Britain, has four well defined seasons. The winters are very cold. We were talking to one Saskatoonian and he told us that the lowest temperature ever recorded was -50°C and the lowest cold chill was -60°C.

So, the temperature we found here, in early March average -11°C and -23°C, seems to be like summer for them. We have to wait until next real winter, but I have a plan - that can wait for another post.

They say Saskatoon is sunnier than average in Canada. The temperature in the summer months can reach up to 41°C (106°F) but generally stay at 24°C (75°F). Saskatoon is dry, with the summer being the wettest season, this feature makes the summer extreme temperatures more tolerable.

Eheime, there is a downside to the summer: thunderstorms. This can be severe with torrential rain, hail, high winds, intense lightning and, on rare occasion, tornados.
Well I guess this is the adventure I was talking about.

Do you notice the blog title and header? We are living in Sky-land, why because Saskatoon lacks of mountainous topography. However there are few hills and valleys. The lowest point in the city is the river and the highest point is argued between Sutherland and the Silverwood-River Heights area. I can say that I drove over the heights and it is a little bit of hill not as steep as the ones you can find in other parts of Canada. So, Saskatoon as flat as a surf board. Living in Saskatoon it is all about the sky, thus we live in Sky-land. I love the sky so I guess this is a good place to be.

Enough of that.

This week, from Monday until Thursday, I discovered Saskatoon by car. I had to go house/flat hunting while Andrew was at work. I loved pursuing this task. I was driving up and down the city going to one neighbourhood to the other - apart from the alphabet avenues, because people say is dodgy area, but I think they are judging it stereotypically. I would like to drive through to make my own idea.

Well, I drove to Lawson Heights as the far north point, Lakewood as the far east I drove and Stonebridge as the far south point I drove. My opinion is that Saskatoon doesn't seem to have congested traffic and you can make a round trip of the city in thirty minutes flat.

During the day of Monday and Wednesday I went viewing the flats and houses by myself. In the Wednesday at 8.30pm Andrew came with me to view another one and that was the house. It has three bedrooms, one big basement room and storage. A big garden and garage. A great living room with bare windows. The kitchen doesn't look 100% modern but we can't be picky with all the rest that come with the house.

Today the woman confirmed that we can rent the property and Sunday 13-03-2010 we can into the house. We are happy about the choice because the contract is on monthly basis - we can move out when we want. The woman, Diane, is very nice and she was the one to say, after the viewing "I wish you all the best in the house hunting and I hope you find the best place for you, and I hope it could me mine." She smiled. I knew that was our house because on Wednesday I phoned several times and then later left a message. She returned my call at five o'clock and then arranged to view the house at half eight the same evening.

Then yesterday Andrew decided to stay home so that we can compare the viewing with the last house. By six thirty we were sure the house was the one we wanted.

I also met a Nigerian woman, Clara, at the supermarket SUPERSTORE. I was going to the till, she saw me and turned to look at me. We I approached, she said "Hello?"
"Hello?" I smiled polite.
"Where are you from?"
"Europe." I thought that maybe she wanted to know where I was coming from.
"Which part part of Europe?"
"Italy, but I am originally from Ghana."
"Ah..." that was what she wanted to know. Which part of Africa I am from, full stop :)! "Where do you live?"
"I am new in Saskatoon."
"Welcome to Canada."
"Thank you."
"You are welcome. Do you work?"
"No, I am here with my husband."
"Is the one who just went to the other side?"
"Yes."
"Oh, nice. How long you've been married?"
"Five years."
"That's good. Congratulations." She shook my hand pleased. I was pleased to talk to her too. "Do you know any other Ghanaians here?"
"No..." I smiled at her.
"Oh, I know a Ghanaian woman and her husband. I will give my friend's number to you. You can phone her and tell her I told you about her."
"Thank you." she gave me her name Hedwig and Hedwig's number. "Thank you very much. And what's your name?"
"Clara. And yours?"
"Theodora."
"Nice to meet you... I will give you my number too." how friendly. This didn't happen to me often in London - well few times. I don't know maybe my face calls people to talk to me. I introduced Andrew to her and she was very please about us being married. "Well done, congratulations!" She said shaking Andrew's hand.

I will phone their numbers this weekend because it is good to know people or I am mistaken?

Our overall impression of Saskatoon after the first week is very good! We miss our family, but we know we will enjoy it here.

High lights of the week

1. Observing the crystal-like fine snow descend from the sky
2. Meeting and talking to the Nigerian woman at Superstore
3. Finding the house in Maple Street to rent
4. Going to dinner at the Ivy, Saskatoon, on 24th street with Pat and Howard.
5. Going to the Go-sushi all you can eat lunch on the 8th street, with Sun.

Instagram

Life 'N' Arts